Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sacrifices

Lent. 

 Its something I look forward to and dread each year. 

Lent is a preparation of the believer through prayer, almsgiving, penitence, and self-denial.  I think of Lent as a cleansing for the mind, body and soul.  

I decided over the weekend I would give myself a "final meal" of junk food before I began the lent cleanse.  As I indulged in a meal of Peruvian chicken and cheesecake I began to wonder why I even put the junk in my body.  Although very tasty, its not as satisfying as I would hope it would be.  


Ok, I started with the cheesecake first since it was a treat.  But I only ate half..


If you are looking for the best Peruvian chicken in the DC area, head to El Pollo Rico in Arlington, VA.   Its worth the wait in line (and in the parking lot)

So, I am sure you are wondering what I am giving up for the next 45 days...here it is:

1. Sweets 
(candy, chocolate, ice cream, pies, cake)

2. Soda 
(Even gingerale.  I guess if I am sick my fall back will be water and OJ)

3. Fried foods 
(french fries, onion rings, calamari, anything deep fried)

4. Working out 30 minutes a day
(Ok, so this isn't giving something up, its putting something into my life)


Although you do not need to observe lent on the Sundays leading up to Easter (because they are considered mini-Easters) I am going to try and go all 45 days according to plan.  

Here I go...Head first...oy vey

2 comments:

  1. You don't need to TRY for 45 days because I know you can do all of these things! I'm giving up all junk/snack food and also Facebook so that I have more time to pray, read the news, talk to friends (or send snail mail) and catch up on their blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Colleen! You are totally right. I can do this! It actually feels so good, when I make the conscious decisions NOT to eat the desserts, candy, sweets and fried food. Exchanged a side salad for fries last night and I felt so much better.

    Good for you to cut out Facebook. That is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete