Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Juices: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

While sitting at home recovering from an awful stomach virus, I decided to start looking up healthy food and drink options.  Today I couldn't help but laugh as I thought back to the quote in the movie The Devil Wears Prada when she says "I am just one stomach virus away from my goal weight".   There are only 37 days left before my first weight check in and I still need to lose 10-15 lbs, so I figured I might as well use today to start changing my diet.

On the WebMD website today they featured the best and worst juice drinks.  I am not much of a juice drinker,but I do occasionally grab an OJ or Lemonade on the way to work.  The line up included:

Worst:
Juice Cocktails
100% Juice -- Can still have a lot of sugar in it

Best:
Vegetable Juice
Pomegranate Juice
Cranberry Juice -- packed with vitamin C; However, drink unsweetened cranberry juice
Blueberry Juice
Acai Berry Juice
Cherry Juice -- It is said to drink this before and after a work out to reduce workout pain
Red Grape Juice -- Good for the heart
Prune Juice -- high in fiber, reduces constipation
Orange Juice 

3 comments:

  1. Most juices are pretty bad. Almost all of them contain refined sugars of some kind along with additives and other crap that doesn't belong in our bodies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Cherry Juice reduces pain because cherries are said to reduce inflammation .... but better to eat whole, raw cherries (or mush them up in a blender with a little water and make your own juice!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I try to stay away from juices, but am going to take your suggestion of mushing up cheeries!

    ReplyDelete