Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Last Dance

I never realized how fast 8 weeks could go by until I started taking a dance class once a week.  In the beginning  I thought it would give me something to do outside of my normal routine each week,  but what I didn't know is how much I would fall in love with the class.   This week I danced my final waltz in the studio (well for the time being).  As I set my frame and tilted my head, the music transported me to a completely different location. I could almost picture myself in a competition gliding across the floor to the music.  I forgot how much I loved to dance.  Perfecting each of my steps to mimic what the instructor had showed us came so naturally to me.  

Sadly this last week we were short one female, leaving the men to take turns standing out during each routine.  During one of the songs I happened to look over noticing the 85 year old man standing alone along the wall.  Although many others had taken their turn waiting patiently for a female partner, a part of me ached to see him waiting alone. Although I was dancing the fox trot with another partner at the time, I began remembering the previous class when I had the opportunity to have my final dance with the elderly man.   As the instructor was teaching us techniques he held onto my hand tightly.  Most partners stand with their arms crossed or at their sides, and had it been anyone else I probably would not been happy with the continuation of physical touch, however, with the old man, it was different.  It was almost sweet the way he wanted to stay close to me as we waited to take our place on the dance floor.  I will never forget this 8 week ballroom dance class, however, more importantly, I will never forget the old man and how much he made me smile just by sharing a dance with me a few times in the studio.


I hope in a few months I can save up enough money to take a few more of the classes.  I would love to continue practicing dance, and who knows maybe one day I will actually make it to a competition, even if it is just to watch the professionals.  

No comments:

Post a Comment