Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Fat Tuesday...Today I'm not the only Fatty

Today is Fat Tuesday!! I learned something today when researching this famous "holiday".  Mardi Gras' literal translation means Fat Tuesday in French. I always just assumed it had two names, not that one meant the other.


This year my baby sister is celebrating her spring break in New Orleans and although I hope she isn't earning beads by flashing skin, she is getting to experience Mardi Gras in New Orleans, where it all began, which makes me a little jealous.




Although many people think Mardi Gras is just an excuse for people to party before Saint Pattys Day, its roots began through Catholicism.  Its the "last hurrah" before Lent begins.  Fat Tuesday marks 46 days till Easter and because Easter falls on a different day each year it can range from being a tuesday in February or March.  So enjoy your king cakes, drinks and partying, tomorrow marks the first day of lent, where I will say goodbye to some of my guilty pleasures for 45 days.


Oh yes, and tomorrow I will be one of those individuals walking around with dirt on my forehead...

No comments:

Post a Comment