Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Its good to be Italian

This weekend one of my former D.C. friends, who recently moved to Boston, came back for a weekend visit.  In between laying around and watching horror films, she and I had to make a quick trip to the The Italian Store.  For those who know the Northern Virginia area, they know The Italian Store is always packed with long lines and mouth watering sandwiches.  Not only are they famous for their subs and pizza, this delicatessen's "soup nazi" type atmosphere makes for a memorable ordering experience.  

Alright, its not that bad, but its a little stressful for first timers.  I caution all Italian Store virgins to go with a veteran for their first time to show you the ropes on ordering Italian Store style.

I was taught a long time ago by one of my roommates that the trick is to order a slice of pizza to eat in line before your number is called by the long line of Italian deli workers.  This weekend I chowed down on a slice of garlic white pizza before ordering the Napoli.  Although this may have ruined my diet for the weekend, it was well worth it.  I only get to go to the Italian Store on special occasions anyway.  Normally, I love doing my italian grocery shopping here before order.  The polenta, pasta, meats and wine are better than any other grocery around. However, on this occasion we were strictly there on a sandwich and pizza mission.

Fun Fact: For those who are huge Sandra Bullock fans, this is her favorite Virginia eatery.  

No comments:

Post a Comment