Thursday, August 11, 2011

What's around the corner?


Just the other day, one of my best friends called me with news that literally had me smiling for hours.  After meeting an amazing man back in February, they started dating. On a random Tuesday, he took her out for ice cream and as they walked back to her apartment he asked her to spend the rest of his life with him. She said yes. and the ring is gorgeous!   

Its funny to think that if you had asked me a year ago from now if I would believe my friend would be engaged today, I would have never believed you.  

Last year around this time, we were preparing for another friend's wedding.  Both single, and both working a full time job.  We had even laughed at the thought of us sharing a hotel room at another wedding since we were the two single bridesmaids again.  It was hard to even see the word boyfriend, let alone husband in our close future.  We had both felt a little down about our current situations but tried to comfort each other with the idea that something is out there for us, we just couldn't see it yet.  

When she called on Tuesday with the news, after my immediate gasp and screams of joy, I began to start thinking, that you really never  know who you will meet today, tomorrow, or even a month from now.

I remember a blog post of mine from back around Valentine's Day.  A fellow blogger posted:

"Happy Valentine's Day, my sweets! What are you doing tonight? On this day four years ago, I was feeling sad and lonely....and had no idea that I was only two weeks from meeting Alex. It goes to show that you never know what's right around the corner!"

The phrase although sappy and somewhat far-fetched is actually quite true.  Even last Christmas, my dear friend could not see that just around the corner was her future husband.  Within months of dating and falling madly in love she realized it was her soulmate.  Having someone close to me have this happen to them helped to bring some light to my current situation.  My friend Emily was living proof that this is true.  

As I approach my 27th birthday a small part of me is scared to get closer to 30. Aging only gets me thinking of how far from my childhood goals/dreams I am getting as another birthday approaches.  However,a lot could happen in the next year. I could finally shed the weight that I have always wanted to lose.  I might find a new job, settle in a new area, or even yet, meet someone who will change my life.  Instead of dwelling on what hasn't happened up to this point in my life, I need to rejoice in the face that its a new year and a new day for something to happen.

I am looking forward to meeting my friend's fiance on Saturday for lunch and finally getting to smother her with hugs and kisses.  I am so happy for her and can't believe this day has finally happened for her too!

Congrats Emily and Joe!

No comments:

Post a Comment