Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Crabs anyone?

Although my kidney stones have me a bit down, I keep thinking about how summer is half way over.

Of all things you can do in the summer, my favorite thing is enjoying crab season! I love crabs!!

About 10 years ago, if you asked me if I felt that way, the answer would have been no!

I used to hate seafood, and refused to eat anything but chicken or steak when out at a restaurant.  It wasn't until after college when I got into the events industry that I began to realize crabs were one of my new favorite foods.

The best thing about summer and living so close to the Chesapeake Bay is DC and Maryland have a wonderful supply of blue crabs.



Even better is going crabbing!


A few years ago, old family friends of mine asked me to join them out on the water to catch some crabs


When you go crabbing, you have to get up REALLY early.  

Like 5 a.m. 

There are not many people on the road at 4:30 a.m.



But, the benefit is seeing the sunrise on the water.
Its peaceful and calming. 


We divided up the tasks.
Unfortunately I lost the toss up and was in charge of setting the traps and pulling the crabs out of the cage.


By the look on my face, you can tell how excited I am about this job.


Yep, you catch crabs with chicken necks.
I guess even crabs like chicken!



We were pro's! Catching them left and right!


After you are done, you get to eat what you caught! 
Cooking them is a bit tricky since they have to stay alive until you put them in the boiling pot.


Time to ENJOY them!

1 comment:

  1. I was the same way with seafood and am starting to realize i really do like it. especially salmon

    ReplyDelete